Nikki is CA bound

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

T-Shirt kind of girl

I've come to the realization that I will always be a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I've tried on numerous occasions to not be that girl, but instead be the girl that is put together and polished. It never lasts long and I get upset with myself for not being more girly. On top of that society says that once you get out of college it's time to graduate to a grown up wardrobe. I just can't seem to get passed jeans and t-shirts though. At first I thought there was something wrong with me, but just recently I've come to realize that it's just part of who I am. I just thought it was time that I stop trying to run away from the girl that I am and just embrace it. To help me with that I've put together a short list of some of the things that I love about being me (jeans and all):

I love wearing jeans and t-shirts
I have an amazing husband who loves me despite my flaws and puts up with me even when I dont deserve it
I am a mom of two beautiful, smart, and funny kids and feel blessed that they help me to be a better person
I work from home because I want to and because I love the freedom of setting my own schedule. I could be a corporate world type if I wanted to be but I choose to be with my family and enjoy life and that's okay I don't have to feel bad about not working a 9am-5pm job because I'm doing what I love.
I am obsessed with young adolescent books and that doesn't make me weird it just means there is still a kid in me deep down who loves a little adventure and fantasy
I'm sorta creative when I want to be.
I may not be great at any one thing in particular but I loved that I am willing to try it even if I am awful at something
I love music, movies, and reading peoples blogs. Those things interest me and are not a waste of time because they enrich my life with ideas and dreams.
I like a clean house, an organized meal plan, and a calender to write events down in.
I even like writing to do lists. It keeps me sane and feeling secure and there is nothing wrong with that.
I admire people who inspire people to change or be a better person and I aspire to be like that.
I believe in helping a friend, a neighbor, an aquanitace whenever you can because we all deserve a helping hand every now and again.
I love fancy shoes but will never spend a small fortune on owning them.
I appreicate history more now as an adult than I did as a child.
I am a romantic at heart and even watch chick flick movies on occassion and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I still hold out hope that someday my family won't be so broken.
I believe in God but struggle with a daily relationship with Him and I don't have to be ashamed of that because I'm not alone.
I believe that some friendships never go away but continue to get stronger even with distance and time.
I know that I am strong and can overcome obstacles in life.
I know that I do what I say and mean what I mean.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I love this post, Nikki. We all need to embrace who we are more often and make a list of the things we love about ourselves. All too often, we focus on our flaws, so thanks for putting this out there. I love t-shirt & jeans, too! =)

Anonymous said...

I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl too. I try to take the advice from those numerous fashion tv shows but when it comes down to it, there is no reason to wear some of the clothes they suggest. Not everyone needs a little black dress. I mean really, when would I wear that?

--Robin

Anonymous said...

Those are a lot of the same things I LOVE about you! lol

I still think about that night we decided to give ourselves red highlights and have a photo shoot. To this day some of my FAVORITE pictures! It's okay to be weird or vivacious or quiet.

Be who you are because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind!