Nikki is CA bound

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer is almost here and what the heck is wrong with my kids?

Sam has been out of school now I think 2 weeks. Summer will officially start on the 21st of this month and it feels like it. It's been very hot and humid around here and I can say that I am not loving it.

Honestly though the point of this post is to let off a lit bit of steam. My kids seem to have become little monsters over night and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Sophia has become a very good actress and can turn on the waterworks in .001 seconds. Not even kidding. It's crazy how good she is at it. Sam on the other hand has decided that he doesn't want to use the potty but instead pee in his underwear everytime and then change his clothes put his wet ones back in the drawer and act like he didn't do anything. Grrrrrrrrr....yeah frustrating. Not sure what to make of this behavior. Sophia I think just doesn't feel good but Sam is acting out I think. I think he's mad he can't go to school for the summer and is taking it out on me. *sigh* whatever it is I'm ready for it to stop already.

Since there isn't school we have decided to take full advantage of all the great free things around here. Library story time on Mondays, Library free programs on Tuesdays, Friday's he goes to the barn with his Nana Peg, and Saturday's we go to the Farmers market. He's got games, toys, and new movies to watch even so it's not for a lack of activities that are avilable for us. We've even taken them to play in the mall play area just for something different. Ah the joys of summer. Looks to be a long season for us especially since the kids are refusing to get along at all. I'm trying my best to be patient, hold out till nap time so I can get some exercise in to let off some steam but it's proving to be difficult. Nap time isn't happening since my children have now decided they don't need to sleep ever. Up late, up early, and no naps. :( Maybe it's just the adjustment period of the seasons changing or whatever but I really hope this little sleep hiatus ends soon.

Anyone else having a difficult time with their kids right now? Any tips on how to handle the lack of sleep or the potty issues that have come up?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Argh. I feel the frustration in your post, and I can relate as we have had (and in some ways are still having) similar issues with our two little angels.

My 2 cents:
On the potty issue, in the months after Ethan potty trained, he had little regressions like that too--such as refusing to use the potty, hiding wet underwear and pants and changing, etc. Same sort of thing. We got through it only by staying on him, making him go to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes or after drinking, etc. We also took away his current favorite toys whenever he wet his pants. He lost privileges such as watching TV, had to have bedroom time, etc. Whatever we thought would have the most effect at the moment. It took a while but it was eventually effective. We sort of had to go back to the beginning with the potty training thing, too, praising him whenever he actually used the potty and had dry pants.

As far as sleep, I'm sure you've thought of these things, but do the kids have room-darkening curtains/blinds? The extra light in the summer forced us to get darker blinds/curtains so their room would still stay dark. Otherwise I'm not really sure what to tell you. Ethan started refusing to nap and we still have "quiet time" in his bedroom most days where he spends at least an hour in there playing quietly by himself. Some days he needs lots of firm "reminders" that he is supposed to be quiet. But it helps for my sanity, and Daniel's when he is the one home with the kids.

I feel for ya. I think both my kids are in a monster phase right now too. Hang in there!!