Nikki is CA bound

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, October 29, 2010

Thoughts on Halloween.



I feel like the Grinch of Halloween. I just really really really don't like this holiday. It's kind of a complicated thing really.

As a kid my mom went all out for this and would get dressed up and spend time trying to figure out our costumes. However, the day always ended with my parent's fighting (I'm talking about my biological mom and step dad) and the police around. He would be drunk. We would be tired, cold, and frustrated. Not my idea of good time.

As I got older I saw that more and more women's costumes are now labeled as sexy. What's wrong with just being a normal firefighter? Why does it have to be sexy? Sorry not interested. That's just not me.

Also the idea of marching my kids around in the dark and cold just isn't something they or I want to do. I told you I'm the Grinch of the holiday.

I'm not saying that dressing up shouldn't happen. In fact Sam is dressed up for school today. They asked that the kids dress like a character from one of their books. I'm totally fine with that. The idea of pretending and wholesome fun is ok with me. It's the darker side of the holiday that I don't like.

Will I take my kids trick or treating? Nope. Did we attend a fall festival this year? Nope, but that's because we just didn't hear about them in time to plan to attend. Are we going to do some Halloween type things? Sure.

Tonight I'll carve the pumpkin with the kids. Put on Charlie Brown and Scooby doo. Light some candles and enjoy some non scary and totally comfy fun with my kiddos at home. I'm not handing out candy as my street doesn't get any trick-or-treaters anyways (last year I bought candy had my light on and everything and didn't get a single kid so this year I didn't even buy candy).

Will my mind change about the holiday as my kids get older and they understand more about what is going on? Maybe. For now though I'll just continue to be the Grinch of Halloween.

No comments: