Nikki is CA bound

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Books from the year so far

Thought it might be interesting to share some of my thoughts on the few books that I've already read this year. I'll start with the most recent one and work backwards. There haven't been many so this shouldn't be too bad.

3. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



Book Snynopsis:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

My Thoughts:

This book was just ok for me. I didn't love and I didn't hate it. I felt like there were a lot of holes and that the whole story just felt a bit awkward to me. I have no idea if the book is going to be a movie or not but I did see the book trailer (they make trailers for books now?) on the authors website and honestly I like that more than the book at this moment. Though I did just read that there is going to be a second book and that might change my mind on the whole story. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars (and hope the second book is better).








2. Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Book Synopsis:

In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away.

My thoughts:

This book blew me away. It was given to me by a friend as a Christmas gift since she knows I love Young Adult books. Boy was she right. This book was amazing. I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars. You have to read this book. It will leaving you thinking without a doubt and will be with you days after you finish reading it. I'd say more but I really don't want to give any of the story away. It's really that good.

As a side note I did just see that the book rights were purchased to be made into a movie. I'll be looking forward to seeing what develops with that. In the mean time I'll be checking out more of Neal's books.

1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold


Book Synopsis:

My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her -- her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, THE LOVELY BONES succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy.

My thoughts:

This was an interesting read. I'll admit the reason I picked up the book was because the movie was coming out and I like Peter Jackson's films. I still haven't seen the film but if it's anything like the book it'll be hear wrenching. The book deals with the murder of a young girl (which was very difficult for me) and shows you how everyone deals with grief, life, and everything in between. While I didn't feel blown away by the story I did like it. It was heavy to read and in some places I felt a little let down. I did put this book back on the shelf to possibly read again later. I would give it a 4 out of 4 stars and a warning that if you plan to read this have your tissues ready because it will probably make you cry.

Here is the movie trailer to give you an idea of what the book was about:




No comments: